A week in the life of an interior designer … designed to be served with heavy accents of humour

February 4, 2011

Monday

Good news on arriving at the office, a long-term prospect has finally paid a deposit and become a paying client – I was starting to wonder if I had registered our company as a charity.  Nice apartment project overlooking the Thames, a newly married couple who seem to have vastly differing opinions on style – will need to use all my marriage counselling skills for this project, while remembering that the wife usually has the final say.

Tuesday

Found myself travelling up the M40 for the second time in a week – not to the swanky Le Manoir aux Quat’Saissons this time but to a Best Western in Evesham.  Arrived early to beat the London traffic and found myself in the bar all alone for the first hour – just time to rearrange the bar stools.  Dinner was good apart from the chef having a disaster with the sticky toffee pudding – we could’ve used the sauce to fix the mosaics on our latest tiling project.  Spent the evening with Twitter friends discussing thread counts, rearranging the scatter cushions in the bar and comparing who had the most followers, I lost the competition … just … need more followers.

Wednesday

Awoke early, well actually hadn’t slept due to Best Western deciding that as the sun had gone down they needed to replace it with floodlights.  So first stop was Reception to explain the merits of blackout blinds, and how a floodlit building and a roller blind from the 70’s doesn’t make for a good nights sleep.  I spent the day schmoozing with a bathroom company, it’s amazing how toilets are made these days, the factories really do resemble “look Mum no hands”.  I did learn rather more than I needed to know about toilet habits throughout the ages – it seems the Romans had it sorted and we then stepped backwards in the middle ages, please don’t tell the Italians they might get conceited.

Thursday

Back in the office today – all hell broken loose after 36 hours away.  Clients chasing projects, lawyers chasing information for construction contracts, and to cap  it all the office cleaner wants a pay rise of over 10%, has she not realised there is an economic crisis on?  Work on the new office is continuing and very soon we will be able to move in, mental note: is £80 a roll for wallpaper really justified in one’s office, memories of Lord Irvine and the expensive refit of the Lord Chancellors office spring to mind.

Friday

The end of the week for most but spent the morning preparing to show a client around the latest kitchen displays tomorrow (again).  Then at 4 o’clock a long-standing client phoned  and asked if  I could go to see her rental work apartment in Amsterdam.  A frantic hour on the internet later I had secured a train ticket at a reasonable price (expenses were not included in the deal, perhaps I need to be tougher sometimes?).  Back to the job, the client has worked there before and is now going back so has kicked out the tenants and I need to transform it from its current ‘coffee shop chic’ back to its former glory.  A busy weekend looms I feel.

1. February 4, 2011 9:09 am

This brightened my morning – really funny post Andrew! 🙂

• February 4, 2011 12:23 pm

Thanks Jacqui, as you know our jobs involve many different skills – and you just have to keep on smiling …

2. February 4, 2011 11:23 am

Very funny Andrew. I loved the piece about marriage guidance – I’ve been in this position one too many times myself. The part about rearranging the bar stools and cushions also most entertaining – can’t tell you how many front gardens I walk past and have to cover my eyes!

• February 4, 2011 12:22 pm

Marriage guidance, childminder, pet sitter … all part of the wide and varied service we offer! Glad you enjoyed the post.

3. February 4, 2011 12:57 pm

I am surprised we didn’t crack our teeth on that Sticky Toffee pudding. Solid Toffee pudding more like!

• February 4, 2011 1:05 pm

Shame as the rest of the meal … and the company obviously … was very good!

4. Owen Philipson permalink
    February 4, 2011 1:02 pm

This is a fun post but I actually learned quite a bit! Maybe I’ll do ‘a week in the life of an interior design editor’.

• February 4, 2011 1:07 pm

When I actually stop and think about what my job actually includes it’s a long and varied list – we don’t just arrange cushions 🙂

5. February 4, 2011 9:16 pm

Its great to see someone else has a life as varied as mine – a little different than I expected when signed up as interior designer!

6. February 4, 2011 10:19 pm

Excellent Andrew! Marriage guidence skills a prerequisite for our job … Shame I missed out on the ceremonial rearranging of the scatter cushions 😉

7. February 6, 2011 1:49 pm

As our paths crossed more than once during this week I have realised how polite you are! Never mentioned floodlights and blackout blinds once over breakfast or sticky toffee pudding!, will try harder next time;)
    Surprised your business partner let you get away with paying for the train tickets too, Mr Hyett is most impressive and worth listening to atentively when advice on such matters arises.
    Very funny blog Andrew, those bar stools were seriously heavy and most embarrassing wrestling a leather chair in front of a dozen twitter friends, all good fun!

8. February 16, 2011 3:03 am

Love, love, love this Andrew. Still chuckling. Why do we always rearrange everything everywhere we go? And who would have thought we should have an additional degree in psychiatry? LOL!
    So glad that you had a great week and were able to laugh through the less fun spots.
    Can’t wait for you to come to our fair city and wrestle some cushions with me!
    Fondest, Catherine

• February 16, 2011 6:00 am

I guess we won’t be happy until everything is just right Catherine! We need many different and varied talents don’t we … oh the marital ‘discussions’ I have had to mediate! A trip to your side of the pond sounds good, cushions at the ready 🙂