Hastens, the best beds in the world? … the final results

November 6, 2011

Getting a good night’s sleep is one of life’s essentials but unfortunately for many people it can also be one of life’s luxuries. How many people can say they get good sleep every night? My 2 week trial of the Hastens 2000T II has now finished so just how good was it? Did it change my life?

The first thing I quickly realised is that when you change your bed it is actually going to take a few days to get used to a new bed! The bed was undeniably comfortable but after a couple of nights I was wondering if we’d done the right thing?

This uncertainty passed after a couple of nights and last weekend I slept for 10 hours – it wasn’t uninterrupted sleep due to work issues on my mind but it was very restful.  I can never usually sleep for that long and it shows just how comfortable the bed is.

Sleeping in the Hastens bed every night felt like I was in a luxury hotel rather than at home. My usual bed is a king size – we were loaned a super king size from Hastens which is 180cm wide! The width of the bed allows you and your partner to both have your own space in the bed and this helps to achieve good sleep. The Hastens Continental bed experience is however very different to sleeping in a wooden frame bed. It is a much more solid build and also generally higher. The mattress is obviously built to your preference, we had a medium firm bed and it felt perfect.

The Hastens bed has now been returned and I have now had 2 nights in my regular bed. My regular bed is a wooden Ikea bed frame with a very good quality John Lewis mattress. The phrase ‘no bed like your own’ came into my mind on Friday night. Maybe as I knew the Hastens bed wouldn’t be staying I didn’t allow myself to get too attached to it! My own bed felt good, but in a very different way – and the following morning we did question if we failed to appreciate the Hastens …

Creating a good environment for sleep is not just about the bed and the mattress. I always use bed linen one size larger than the size of bed i.e. a superking size duvet on a kingsize bed. This is the one thing we missed on the trial, the cosy feeling of oversized bed linen – but I can’t blame Hastens for that!

Hastens produce a wide range of beds. Although we tested one of the top models that retails for over £20,000 they start from a reasonable price – still not cheap but for the quality it is worth it. For the price of an expensive holiday you could probably buy your own Hastens bed that would last for life. Book yourself in if for your own consultation and you will understand the quality they put into their beds.

The question everyone wants answered is would I personally buy a Hastens bed? If I had the money I am sure I would as I now understand the quality and workmanship that goes into them. They also come with a 25 year guarantee so you can be sure they will last. I would probably buy an Excel II myself, this model has the Hastens craftsmanship but is only the price of a small family car! If you want the Vividus shown below you better get saving …

PS I received no payment from Hastens to conduct this trial. The only thing I received was some earplugs – my partner was sleeping so well I needed noise protection from the snoring!

1. November 7, 2011 9:22 am

Very interesting post.

I know that there is more to a restful sleep than just the bed but getting the right one certainly get you a whole lot closer to the goal line!

2. November 16, 2011 9:49 am

Very honest and interesting blog piece Andrew. There’s a lot to be said for spending more on a bed, given the amount of time we spend in them.

• November 16, 2011 8:27 pm

Few people really appreciate how important it is. If you can’t afford a Hastens at least everyone should take time to get a mattress that really supports them as needed.

3. Benedikte Ranum permalink
    November 16, 2011 10:32 am

Interesting finale to the trial, Andrew.

I like the idea of using bedding and linen that’s a size bigger than the bed itself – must try that. In Norway, a lot of couples have two single duvets in a double bed. It works quite well – means you share the space but get to cozy up in your own duvet when you want to!

Here’s something that occurred to me about the distinctive blue & white check finish of the Hästens beds:

One the one hand, with a bed like that, many people would want to “show it off”, and it’s great for brand recognition. You see the check and immediately recognise it as Hästens, and it puts in mind the meticulous craftsmanship that’s gone into its manufacture. It resonates nicely with its traditional Swedish origins, too.

On the other hand, as you change the styling or colour-scheme of your bedroom, would you ever tire of the check fabric or cover it up in some way? Are the beds available in other finishes?

Just a thought.

• November 16, 2011 8:25 pm

One size larger bedlinen is a great trick to avoid fighting over the duvet! I have stayed in hotels (in Scandi I think) where you get seperate duvets, that works well too.

Hastens are available in a range of colours – I think most people may cover it with a valance – depends how ‘show off’ they are!

4. April 16, 2012 12:29 am

It is in reality a nice and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

5. January 12, 2013 4:07 am

Hey Andrew,

I came by your blog while searching for information on Hastens other than what they have (and don’t have) website. Before travelling 120 miles to Fitzrovia for a booked appointment I thought I’d do a search. I am always wary of retailers who make you book an appointment to go buy something from them. It normally always means they are up their own backsides and appealing to the WAGS and trying to be exclusive. Well with a £60k price tag they can be as exclusive as they like. Even for £21,000 for a bed – regardless of a 25 year guarantee I shall not be wending my way to W1 next week. Well, not for a Hastens anyway.
    For me, I have no trouble with sleeping or getting comfortable in bed. When I do eventually get there, I can stay there for up to 15 hours if other calls of nature would let me.

In my search for a new bed I have found the one on my most wanted list is about £2,500. It comes with a 5 year guarantee. It too is well crafted, well made, with a choice of mattress (natural or man-made fibres) and a choice of colours/fabrics and not a blue check in sight. If, I needed to replace the bed every 5 years it would still only cost me £12500 over the same 25 years. And let’s face it, if I do live another 25 years my requirement for a bed is likely to have changed and my priorities would be different. By the time I’m 70 I’m likely to want a softer mattress, more height, grab rails and a younger man next to me.

So many thanks for saving me a 200+ mile round trip and for a really helpful review of….a bed.

6. March 12, 2013 5:04 am

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I

quite enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will make sure
    to bookmark your blog and will come back from now on.

I want to encourage you to continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!

7. May 26, 2014 8:20 am

As a Hastens dealer I definitely have yo answer the title’s question with a big YES! So I’m glad u seem to have figured it out yourself as wel. It’s nice that to see your price comparison with a small family car. After all, we have to lay in our beds for +/1 8 hours a day for over TEN years! Why do we spend that amouth of money on our cars instead of our beds. I hope u mad a lot of people mor conscious about that now. Very nice article!