Kay Bojesen wooden animals

November 29, 2011

At the recent opening of the Fritz Hansen store in London I discovered the joy of Kay Bojesen wooden animals. On display in the store was a huge monkey that I immediately fell in love with and wanted to take home. The only thing that stopped me was a very large price tag!

Thankfully there is a range of other animals in a more modest size for a more affordable price. Designed by Kay Bojesen and manufactured by Rosendahl the originals were designed in 1951. The series originally contained a Monkey, Elephant and Bear.

Kay Bojesen was an apprentice of Georg Jensen and trained as a silversmith in 1910. Later in the 1930’s he discovered working in wood and went on to create his animals. The monkey was so popular in the 1950’s that it was exhibited at the Victoria & Albert Museum.

The range of animals has recently been joined by three newcomers:Β the Dachshund, the Hippo and the Rabbit. These new animals have been developed with the Bojesen family and embrace the spirit of Kay Bojesen’s original drawings.

The animals would make a great present for children or adults. I’ve spotted the ideal place for a monkey in our office – maybe if I’m lucky there will be one under the tree this Christmas.

1. November 29, 2011 8:29 am

I love them Andrew and have two monkey’s. Always make me smile

• November 29, 2011 10:33 am

2 monkeys Mary? Now that is just greedy :)) As you say they make you smile – thinking of getting a monkey for our office.

2. November 30, 2011 7:32 am

Yes, they are fantastic πŸ™‚
    Here at Danish Design Museum in Randers, Denmark we have over 400 Bojesen items exhibited among other fantastic danish design.
    Please come and visit us when the trip goes to Denmark.

• December 2, 2011 12:27 pm

I had no idea you had such a good collection. I love travelling to Scandi so next time I am passing I will call in – Danish Design is fantastic.

3. December 2, 2011 11:37 am

My absolute favorite. I so love the Bojesen monkey. One day I must put this on the top of a wish list:-)

• December 2, 2011 12:25 pm

There is a place in the corner of my office that is crying out for a monkey. I do worry though that buying the monkey might lead to a whole zoo gradually appearing …

Trackbacks