The Albert Kennedy Trust Purple Door project

February 27, 2013

For the past year or so we have been giving our time to the Albert Kennedy Trust for their Purple Door project. We are helping them to create an emergency safe house for LGBT young people – the first project of this kind in London.

We are donating our time pro bono for this project – and would love to hear from any other companies who would like to donate their goods and services … we have a whole house to decorate and furnish to create a temporary home environment for the young people.

AKT

Formed in 1986, the Albert Kennedy Trust is named in memory of a 16 year old young man who fell to his death from a car park in Manchester.

The trust’s mission is “To ensure that all lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans young people are able to live in accepting, supportive and caring homes, by providing a range of services to meet the individual needs of those who would otherwise be homeless or living in a hostile environment.”

Purple Door, AKT’s housing project, is just about to launch in Manchester and London. Having identified a location in London we provided building expertise throughout the planning process, whilst renovation work was done. The house is now ready for decoration and has been recently handed over to the AKT. They have an army of volunteers from their many sponsors ready to start decorating. We have been working on a decoration scheme for the house that will appeal to the young people, we are trying to create a ‘home away from home’ feeling to welcome them and make them feel safe. We are also specifying all the furniture and fittings – and trying to make the precious donations stretch as far as possible!

Mini Moderns

The generous chaps at Mini Moderns have already donated some of their colourful wallpaper for the house. We haven’t decided on the exact design yet but both Whitby and Camberwell Beauty shown above are hot favourites with the project team.

If you think you can help please do get in touch. All donations will be warmly received and you will be helping create a much-needed safe house for some of society’s most vulnerable young people.

1. February 27, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi this sounds like a really worthwhile project. I hope it is a success and that a welcoming place is created for those that need it!

2. February 28, 2013 8:14 pm

I wish you all well in this generous endeavor. I also have one suggestion or idea–there’s a website dedicated to LGBTQ Community rights, needs, and specialty in Suicide Prevention Awareness called TheTrevorProject. They communicate worldwide, but do not know for sure if they’re in London specifically. I would however believe they might KNOW a foundation that might be. Maybe search them up. In the meantime, I will tweet this link and send suggestion their way for you as we’ll.
    In Good Faith,
    Jeanine H

3. February 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Reblogged this on j9sopinion and commented:
    We send APD Interiors our well wishes on their pro-bono endeavor to assisting their own London LGBTQ Community, building project.
    Please read further for details on getting involved, giving or donating.
    Jeanine H

4. March 1, 2013 8:23 am

Happy to help Andrew with my time and expertise and just muck in all round where an extra pair of hands are needed.

5. March 1, 2013 8:25 am

Hi Andrew,

Happy to help with my time and expertise and just generally muck in where an extra pair of hands are needed.

Karen 🙂

6. March 2, 2013 12:26 pm

What a fantastic project! I would love to volunteer when the project hits Manchester – I have many gay and lesbian friends and so it’s something that’s very close to my heart. It sounds like such a worthwhile endeavour. Could you please let me know what I need to do to get involved? I’ve done quite a lot of DIY/decorating in my own home but happy to do whatever jobs are necessary! Thanks so much x

7. March 3, 2013 4:04 pm

What a fantastic project, and love the Whitby and Paisley wallpapers.Good luck with decorating.